What Is Motivational Enhancement Therapy
Four targeted therapy sessions are all that is required for people to overcome their addictions with the help of motivational enhancement therapy [MET]. The therapy sessions focus on internal change through motivation.
MET, also known as Motivational Enhancement Therapy, is an intrusion and guidance technique especially made to induce changes that are motivated internally. 12 step treatment and other counselling techniques are normally combined with MET. There are four main treatment sessions in MET that come after an assessment has been done and each session has a specific focus. Each user will have his own unique sessions. The focus within the early sessions is on the evaluation of information, which is collected during the initial assessment and to set goals for the future. Succeeding meetings give the individual the view and good support for remaining abstinent.
Helping addicted people to understand how they can change their own thoughts, and behaviours is the approach that motivational enhancement therapy [MET] works upon.
Helping Addiction With The Use Of Motivational Enhancement Therapy
What each addict needs from a treatment is studied at his entry in the rehab clinic. The vital signs of the patient are monitored by the physicians along with any changes within the body during the withdrawal stages from the drug.
MET advisors then work with patients to change their considerations and practices identified with medication utilize.
If there are other mental health problems present, MET can also help in treating them. The functions of the brain change because of these mental issues along with the drugs, and many addicts have these type of troubles. With an indention to prevent relapse in the future MET can assist in the treatment of the addiction and the co-occurring disorder simultaneously.
Some co-occurring Conditions, Which Can Be Treated By MET Include
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder [PTSD]
- Bipolar disorder
- Eating disorders
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Combining Met And Other Treatments
12-steps programs and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) are typically combined with MET in many treatments to offer to the patients the best program possible. These treatments utilizes particular procedures to guide patients through behavioural change. Support groups help addicts to achieve sobriety and stay clean while CBT mostly teaches patients how to deal with stress.
Methods And Treatments Used In Met Therapy
There are five important components of MET which individuals and counsellors would deal with.
These are procedures that have been found to energize sentiments of motivational change in those agony from medication fixation.
- Creating And Showing Compassion
- Through empathy, the addict will discover how their conducts have impacted in other people's life, that is why is so important.
- This can be used as a factor for motivational change.
- The relationship between the addict and the therapist will improve thanks to empathy.
- Accepting divergence among ideas and actuality.
- It is common to notice some resistance during the treatment among patients who are required to understand the fact that there is a certain gap between where they feel they are and where they really are.
- The inner motivation necessary to start the change can start by realizing this difference.
- Avoiding Confrontation
- How hard the addicts have used the drugs is not a theme of discussion during the sessions.
- Individuals are urged to hold a favourable reaction and view on Motivational Enhancement Therapy
- Part of the treatment process is accepting resistance.
- MET aids dependent individuals deal with their reluctance to treatment for dependency.
- Therapists help the patients to come to terms with the real effect of their addiction on their personal lives and that of others by trying to relate to them at a personal level.
- Supporting A Recovering Addict's Self-Efficacy
- It is important for the recovering user to believe that they have what it takes to meet their own objectives.
- MET can provide patients the education that is required to make them understand that they have the power to overcome the addiction and to strive towards their goals in life.
- Behaviours that strengthen the idea of reaching your goals on your own are encouraged by therapists as well as positive thoughts.
Get Treatment For Your Addiction Today
We could assist if you or a loved one is experiencing liquor or substance dependency. Mental health counselling is a major part of treatment in many residential and outpatient treatment centres. Finding the motivation to get sober and even more importantly to stay sober can be critical for long-term recovery. We are here to aid you, contact us on 0800 772 3971.